Saturday, February 25, 2017

2017 Academy Awards Predictions

My friend Karen LOVES the Oscars.  She always makes it a point to see all of the films nominated for Best Picture, as well as few others. Most years, the Academy Awards rolls around and I've seen maybe one or two of the nominated films.  This year, however, I made a point to see at least a decent amount.  Even though the Oscars won't start until 2am our time, I'm still following all of the predictions and reading about all of the fanfare. And who knows? I've been waking up at 4am every night and unable to fall back asleep for at least two hours, so maybe I'll get up and try and stream it online.  Mayyyyybe. 

Here are my predictions for what will win vs. what should win when it comes to the big awards.  I've also seen a few of the films nominated in other categories.  Let me know what you think!

Best Picture

Nominees: Arrival/ Fences/ Hackshaw Ridge/ Hell or High Water/ La La Land/ Lion/ Manchester by the Sea/ Moonlight/ Hidden Figures

Seen La La Land, Hackshaw Ridge, Arrival and Hidden Figures

 I really enjoyed Arrival, but thought it was the weakest of all of the Best Picture nominations. I think Hidden Figures was "the best" of the other three, if you can even judge that, but honestly, I walked out of all three with huge admiration for each film.   Hackshaw Ridge wasn't an enjoyable movie by any means (I cried through about a third of it), but it was phenomenal nonetheless. La La Land didn't have the history or "message" behind it like the others did, but was a lot of fun and the cinematography was fantastic.  And finally, I left Hidden Figures feeling empowered and proud of my fellow women, but also really enjoyed the story about NASA and trying to get men into space before the Russians. 

Will Win: La La Land seems to be getting all of the buzz, so I'm guessing that. 

Should Win: I'm really pushing for Hidden Figures!


Best Actress

Nominees: Isabelle Huppert, “Elle” / Ruth Negga, “Loving” / Natalie Portman, “Jackie” / Emma Stone, “La La Land” / Meryl Streep, “Florence Foster Jenkins”

Seen:  Jackie and La La Land

I went into 'Jackie' thinking it would be lighthearted and portray Jackie Kennedy as this classy woman.  Instead, it focuses on the week after the assassination of her husband, which left Jackie Kennedy in a much different state than how she normally portrayed herself. Not quite what I expected, but definitely an interesting look at Jackie Kennedy. 

Will Win: Everything is saying Isabelle Huppert for Elle.  I haven't seen it, but I've heard great things!

Should Win:  I'm voting for Jackie! Natalie Portman was incredible!!  Although I'm pretty upset that Taraji Henson wasn't nominated for Hidden Figures.  I'd probably still vote for Natalie Portman, but Henson was so good in Hidden Figures.


Best Actor

Nominees: Casey Affleck, “Manchester by the Sea” / Andrew Garfield, “Hacksaw Ridge” / Ryan Gosling, “La La Land” / Viggo Mortensen, “Captain Fantastic” / Denzel Washington, “Fences

Seen: Hackshaw Ridge and La La Land

I thought Andrew Garfield in Hacksaw Ridge was good, but not deserving of Best Actor. The more I learn about Ryan Gosling and his role in La La Land, the more I'm a fan.  He learned to play the piano just for that part!

Will Win: I think Casey Affleck is the favorite, but I'm in the group of people rooting against him for his sexual harassment allegations.  

Should Win:  Based on the two that I've seen, I'm voting for Ryan Gosling, but I love Denzel Washington, so I'd get on board with that too, even though I haven't seen Fences.


Best Supporting Actress


Nominees: Viola Davis, “Fences” / Naomie Harris, “Moonlight” / Nicole Kidman, “Lion” / Octavia Spencer, “Hidden Figures” / Michelle Williams, “Manchester by the Sea”

Seen: Hidden Figures

Most people are saying that everyone in this category has done bigger and better things, which I can agree with for Octavia Spencer (she was great in Hidden Figures, but she's had more dynamic and deeper roles).  I'm a big Viola Davis fan from How to Get Away With Murder, and Nicole Kidman is always fantastic. 

Will Win: Viola Davis is getting all of the support in this category.

Should Win: Octavia Spencer was great in Hidden Figures, but I'm guessing from all of the talk that Viola Davis probably should win. 


Best Supporting Actor


Nominees: Mahershala Ali, “Moonlight” / Jeff Bridges, “Hell or High Water” / Lucas Hedges, “Manchester by the Sea” / Dev Patel, “Lion” / Michael Shannon, “Nocturnal Animals”

I haven't seen any of the movies from this category!! Tragedy! I really want to see Lion and I've heard Moonlight is incredible.  We're also planning on renting Manchester by the Sea at some point, but haven't gotten around to it.   

Will Win: The talk is saying Mahershala Ali because, even though his role in Moonlight was small, he did a lot with it. 

Should Win: Mahershala Ali sounds like he should get it, although Jeff Bridges apparently was great and very "Jeff Bridges."



Other random Oscar thoughts....

  • La La Land should win all of the technical and soundtrack awards because it was amazing to watch on screen.  Arrival might give it a run for it's money in the cinematography categories, but La La Land just blew me away. 
  • The costumes in Jackie were mind blowing. I don't usually notice those types of things, but it was one of my first thoughts when I walked out of the theater.



Who are you rooting for?  What will be the big film this year? 



No comments:

Post a Comment