Monday, November 30, 2015

This week I'm...

I did this a month ago and really liked it.  I want to remember the little things as well as all of the big things we do, so this will hopefully document what a calm week in Izmir looks like.

decorating for Christmas.  We bought a (fake) Christmas tree yesterday at IKEA and if we were in the States, my Christmas loving heart would have just shriveled up because I swore I would never have a fake Christmas tree, much less one from IKEA, but desperate times call for desperate measures.  I'm trying to string out the Christmas decorating throughout the next couple weeks so I have something Christmas-y to do every day of Advent, but I might get excited and put everything up.  We shall see.

It may not have lights due to a different type of of outlets and circuits, it's crooked because the floors may be uneven and it's super fake, but it will do.  Now we just need to wrap some presents to go under the tree!

reading A Christmas Carol.  Well, I haven't started, but it's next on my list.  I'm really trying to get into the Christmas spirit here since I'm dreading the actual day of being away from family. I haven't read a Christmas Carol since I was eleven, so this is definitely overdue. I finally finished Station 11 and, while I think it was really well written, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

recovering from loads and loads of Black Friday shopping. Well, I guess this is really my bank account, but you get the idea.  I'm pretty much done with Christmas shopping, so I guess that's good.  And anytime I feel bad about how much I spent on things like clothes and Christmas presents, I just remember that Mike tried to convince me we needed an inflatable hot tub because it was half off. I convinced him otherwise.

smelling all of the scented candles my mom sent us in a Thanksgiving package! We've got all sorts of fall and Christmas candle scents! Makes me feel all warm and cozy.

enjoying cold weather! By cold, I mean in the 50s, but that's seriously cold for here.  It's so nice!  We're going to be in for quite a shock when we head to Groton in a couple of years after this "very cold" winter in Izmir.  Fifty degrees is tshirt weather for some, jacket weather for us!  It definitely makes us get in the mood for winter-y things.  We had (very spicy) chili for dinner and are currently cozying up with blankets on the sofa.

doing...I finished my last 30 day fitness challenges and really enjoyed it. I'm considering starting a few more, but our travel and visitor schedule for the month of December may get in the way.  Any suggestions would be welcome!

planning our big road trip for next summer. Well, really this is Mike, but I'm adding in my input here and there.  We're in the very early stages of planning a road trip through Eastern Europe.  Any recommendations and suggestions are welcome!

teaching a new student.  He speaks great English, but wants to take private conversation lessons a few times a week to practice speaking and learn different phrases and idioms.  Today was the first day and he's great.  Hopefully this will continue!

learning lots of Turkish...still! Wahoo! We finished the first month of class last week, so now we're on the second month of the first level.  I have an exam at the end of this month, so we'll see how much I have actually learned, but I feel like I'm learning a lot more and I feel a lot more comfortable using my Turkish in class.  The next step is to use it out in the real world....

listening has really been put on hold until I get my phone back since all of my podcasts and music is on there.  Although, yesterday, when Mike was supposed to be working on a paper, I heard Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" being played and sung from his office.  What a guy.


We'll be adding more Christmas decorations throughout the week, but Mike insisted that this guy get out of storage, stretch his legs, and have a glass of scotch!
We haven't put up any decorations besides the tree...and this guy.  Mike made sure he was comfortable in his new home....next to the scotch.  Quite fitting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment