Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012: A Year in Review

The week before winter break, I was with my IJ group and we were reflecting on the year (gotta love City Year for all of the reflecting that we do).  It forced me to stop and think about everything that had happened in 2012 and I realized, sitting on the floor of our office, that 2012 had been a REALLY good year. Here's why...



  1. City Year Boston: My year in Boston was life changing.  The school I served at was amazing, the people I met were inspirational and the organization, despite our ups and downs, helped me grow as a person.  I also have realized that CYB is different than other sites and while I'm sure they're doing great things, I can't imagine having done City Year anywhere else.  Despite a few sour apples, the people at CYB are amazing and have got the whole City Year thing down to a science. Plus, the memories I have of the students and my team are priceless. I love each and every one of them.                              
  2. Anna and Mike's Wedding: My first friend wedding!! I felt like we had been talking about this wedding for years (well, actually, we had) and it finally happened.  I know some people complain about having to go to weddings for people they don't really know, and I'm sure those are a little boring, but when you're best friend gets married, it's a TON of fun! Being in the wedding was awesome and definitely memorable.  I am so happy for the "married couple" as I like to call them and am so thankful that I got to be a part of their wedding
  3. Moving to Jacksonville: In a matter of three weeks, I interviewed, got accepted and moved to Jacksonville! Needless to say, it was not planned, but I am so thankful for this experience. I don't plan on staying in Jacksonville and I don't think I'll ever do start-up again, but I have learned so much from this year.  Professionally, it has been so great to get to see a lot of the behind the scenes of City Year.  When I got to Jacksonville, there wasn't a CY office.  We were working out of a hotel and built the site from the ground up.  It's so cool to see it growing every day and be able to say I was a part of that. 
  4. This guy: Despite the fact that he lives 6000 miles away, is on a boat where the only communication is through email, and I won't get to see him until April or May, he makes me happier than a lot of people combined. I can't help smile when I think of him and he makes me want to be a better person.  He makes the distance worth it.  He's the best!



There were a ton of other amazing things that happened this year, but these four were by far the biggest and the best.  Most people really struggle transitioning out of college, but this year has been unexpectedly incredible.  If this is what struggling is like, I'll take it! I loved 2012 and can't wait to see what 2013 brings!

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."  -Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment