Sunday, December 2, 2012

Happy December!

I've gotten really bad at this blogging thing. I barely write once a week now, whereas before it was almost every day. I don't know why.  If anything, I have more time to blog.  Anyways, here are the highlights of the week

1.  Volunteering at Sanctuary on 8th Street.  School was closed for the kiddos on Monday, but we were in service, so we spent the afternoon volunteering at the Sanctuary. It's an after school place for low income kids.   Some of the students who go to the middle school we're serving in go to the Sanctuary in the afternoon.  It was a really cool facility.  We just cleaned and organized all of their stuff, but it was a lot of fun to look around and see where some of students spend their afternoons.

2. My teacher's revelation.  On Thursday, he called me over while the students were working.  Fourth block is pretty hyperactive and usually a pretty stressful block.  He had given them book work to do for basically the whole block, so they were preoccupied and doing their work.  They were behaving really well and a lot better than they normally do. My teacher pulled me aside and said "I realized that when the students are engaged and participating, they are well behaved and interested in what we're studying." I wanted to shake him and be like "DUHHHH!!" but I just nodded and said yes.  I guess it's better late than never. He has a tendency to have these revelations and then not really act on them, but let's hope he follows through.

3.  A student telling me jokes.  This student is about six feet tall and definitely doesn't quite understand how big his body is.  He's always running into things and is just too big for his body.  He also doesn't show a lot of emotion.  He hardly ever talks or smiles and just kind of plods along.  I was talking to him at the end of class on Thursday.  I know he likes jokes so I usually have a joke for him so I can get him to smile.  Thursday, he was like

 "Ms. Russo, what kind of music does a car like to listen to?"
"I don't know, what kind?"
"Autotunes!!"

He started cracking up and his arms started flailing.  Papers were flying everywhere and he was just laughing.  It was the funniest thing.

4. The beach.  Today was super warm, so Joe, Adrienne, and I headed to the beach.  It still wasn't very warm and I kept my cover up on the whole time, but it was so nice.  There were a ton of dogs running in the water and playing on the beach.  There was even a woman walking in a red workout suit wearing a red santa hat.  The things you see at the beach....

5. I'M GOING TO BOSTON!!  Sam texted me and asked if I wanted to go to Boston the weekend of my birthday and I obviously had to say yes! I'm leaving on Thursday  the 13th after school and coming back that Sunday.  We're going to go to NHCS on Friday and see our babies, go out Friday night for my birthday and then spend the day in the city on Saturday.  I'M SO EXCITED!!! I can't wait!

And on that note, I'm going to bed.  Well I'm going to eat some ice cream and then go to bed.  Happy December everyone!

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.
Muhammad Ali 

No comments:

Post a Comment